It just dawned on me that this card fits the Vandicrafts artistry challenge “Home Sweet Home” from too, so I should post it quickly before the challenge closes (or is it closed allready?).
This card was meant for the people who bought our appartment, but it took me a while to make it, and then it took me a while to get it ready to send, and now I think I won’t send it anymore – it’s 4 months after they bought the appartment.
I had bought several (Sizzx) dies on marktplaats (the Dutch ebay), and wanted to try them out. I used 4 different dies, the fence, the house, the background row of houses (an on the edge die), and a non-sizzix frame die (the gardensign).
I cut it mostly from (wooden) samples of flooring (laminaat) – you know, when you go to a store where they sell wooden floors they sometimes have paper samples of the floor. I still have enough of them, I don’t use them often, but it’s a good alternative. It’s smooth paper, so difficult to stamp on. I should try using it with alcohol inks, haven’t thought of that before.
First, the background. You can see on the left a failed background, the colours didn’t blend nicely. Also visible are the diecuts of the fence and row of houses. I inked up the embossing folder, sprayed a bit with water then embossed it (running it sideways through the machine).
Oh right, I also used the Tim Holtz Rays embossing folders, you can see the yellow strips of it. It represents the light shining through the trees.
Behind our old house stood some trees, there was a playground but because of the trees it felt like a big garden.
The row of houses, trying it out against different backgrounds, combining papers. I used the brown paper as backframe – I should post the card I made with the left over bit soon. That was originally cream coloured paper, on which I used a TCW stencil of trees, vintage photo distress ink, copper perfect pearls mist and some more (forest moss distressink, gathered twigs).
I can’t rememer the (original colour of) the top paper, but the flowers are a Chocolate Baroque stamp.
Coffee and a wobbly cutting mat – I didn’t have a craft sheet then I think. Here you can see the wallpaper samples. A bit of interior decoration for my 2d paper house.
As you can see, I didn’t use the black row of houses, it was too dark. I used different wallpaper inside the house, and made steps going up to the house. I masked off the sides and used Mowed Lawn (ofcourse) for the lawn, masking off the pathway as well. That was later on coloured with.. ehm… another colour.
The fence was cut twice, the second cut mounted with foam onto the first, to add more depth. Oh and there is the sign – it’s made out of 2 parts, if you look at the lining of the wood you’ll see – the middle part is placed on top.
All in all it does look like the area where we lived (and also it doesn’t, as it are all appartments and no frontyards).
It’s a large card, and I’ve grown to like it a lot. I somehow can’t seem to mix the bigger diecuts with stamping very well, or rather, I can’t seem to mix them at all. Either I have a minimum of diecuts, or a minimum of stamping. Oh well, another creative challenge for me :).
And just because I think the first picture is the prettiest one, I repeat it here.