No, this is not yet the lady sticking her head out of the leaves, this is another bird. My 2nd entry for the Chocolate Baroque Colour Challenge #13.
It’s funny how colours change in my head once I’m away from the computer screen. This card was made for the Chocolate Baroque colour challenge as well. I remembered the colours as follows: kraft/plain cardboard coloured, yellow, green and purple. In a DT blogpost I read she used the new distress colour Amber, which I got the spray from so I was happy. I decided to use the yellow and brown as background colours, brown being Tea dye and brushed corduroy mostly. Put some resist spray between it (decoupage glue with some water in a spraybottle). Add a window fragment and background fragment in the other two colours, and voilà, the background is ready.
Where? Or right, pictures ;).
Quite saturated colours, due to the amber. I sprayed with the amber spray first, then with the resist spray. Next I took my sponges tea dye / brushed corduroy and wiped it across the amber. Might have dded another resist spray after that. The window and little bush is stamped with toffee crunch from eh, that other brand. (Memento I think?). Used distress inks to give it some more colour (purples and greens).
And then I kept pondering how to finish it.
The DT was my inspiration, Anne’s Nordic Style christmas card. She said there: ” just love the reindeer – a bit fiddly to cut out but well worth the effort.” That text apparantly lingered in my mind (I know I thought about all the fiddly bits, and how I dislike fussy cutting and almost mutter to myself when cutting) and then I knew how to go on with this card: Add the focal thing on it, by (die-)cutting it out, so layer it. So I went looking through my stamps for a suitable image. It shouldn’t be a flower or plant, that’s too passive. Something else.
At the same time, I’m working on and off on a piece of walldecoration. It started out as Ikea packaging which I gesso-ed so the kids and me could paint together, but they didn’t feel like painting so I went ahead on my own, and now it’s mine… (See the post of Santoro Willow Guide where you can see how subconsicousness played a huge part in it!) Here I had just added indigo blu flakes, on the lower left a peacock , in the middle a dragonfly and under the folder another peacock. Inside the folder are some images I made earlier, the peackock on the right is very pretty, used metallic paints and all, but it went out of sight a bit. Anyway, a peacock would be great!
Only a bit too “great” – these two were too big, but luckily I also had a smaller one that did fit the card. Now onto the stamping. Embossing? yes. Which colour, purple? But the purple embossing powder is very dark after heating, almost black. Hmm clear embossing powder on a coloured background.
I lightly used all challenge colours in it, mainly purple. I decided I wanted some more bling, so I would emboss the top part of the bird with WOW copper embossing powder. No pictures of the result then. I fussy cut it out and added a white outline around the bird as it didn’t stand out enough, and I didn’t want to use black. I also added white gelpen in between the feathers and wiped across it with my finger right after doing so, making that space a bit diffuse/fuzzy/lighter. I took a Marianne Design die for the branch, used green and yellow (and a touch of brown) to colour it and glued it in place. Next I glued the peacock in place.
Also darkened the edges of the card more, to frame the image.
The top left and top right cards – not sure if I made these for the challenge, I made these when my kids were making cards (more on that in the next post). The colours could match the challenge. The flower is from my stash. The top middle background was made with this challenge in mind, but this time using green and yellow.
I finally found a use for that gold cardstock, here as the middle layer. Before gluing down the top layer I added a white outline around the card with white gelpen, as the card and gold were too similar in colour. The white seperates it so the gold frames it better. Mounted it onto some heavier cardstock and went outside for pictures.
My youngest son, (turned 1 in July) likes the card. Right after he grabbed it with two hands and bent it – luckily no creases to be seen.
A closeup of the top part, I also had added white gelpen around the eyes as they didn’t stand out enough behind the background.
The final card.