Just about an hour or so untill the challenge closes, so I’ll hurry!
Pictures taken just a few minutes ago, so bad light – I’ll edit the post tomorrowafternoon with some daylight pictures.
I started with a background made with the Ginko Stencil from Designs by Ryn, I used Distress inks ofcourse. Chipped Sapphire (or Broken China or Faded Jeans? I used all three colours this evening…) and Cracked Pistachio and Peacock Feathers. Also Dusty Concord and Seedless Preserves. After making the background I stamped some thistles on it from Chocolate Baroque, and then spritzed with home made resist spray. Next I embossed the butterflies on (stamp from CB). From left to right: Adirondack Stream embossing powder (quite a thin/fragile line). The next one is a brandless embossing powder picked up from a euroshop or bookshop. I notice the difference in quality, this one doesn’t “flow” or melt into itself as well. Next on the right is Ranger Blue Glass – this one melts very well into a thicker bit. Details can get lost but it adds indeed a blue glass look. The bottom row is twice WOW! Earthtone Grape regular, I’m always a bit disappointed how it turns out. Looks nice in the jar but a lot darker after embossing.
I next coloured the butterflies partly with matching distress markers. Or almost matching (pine needles and peacock feathers for the Stream butterflie, Worn lipstick/Spun sugar for the middle one, tumbled glass/broken china for the Blue Glass one and Dusty concord and Stormy Sky (which is not like the distress ink Stormy Sky, the marker is quite purple). The thistles are stamped with Distress inks, seedless preservers and dusty concord. I took my waterbrush, made it quite weat and mixed the colours – also the background colours mixed in.
Then I added Crackle accents to the 4 butterflies on the edges, and glossy accents on the middle one.
Strange things the picture does to the card – The texture in the more pink butterfly isn’t as high here, and the colours in the lower right aren’t as .. oh wait they are. Didn’t look like that after colouring, but it looks great!
Next thingI did was ink the edge royally with broken china, so the butterflies stnad out more.
Oh and then ofcourse the sentiment – I applied some gesso on the spot where it would go and wiped it out with my finger, inking it up a bit with cracked pistachio. Embossed the sentiment with Ranger super fine detail black embossing powder.
Almost the last thing I did was spray it with water to get the drops effect. Ofcourse last thing I did was make up the card as seen.
This was my 3rd entry for the Chocolate Baroque Colour Challenge #11
Now the bonus card:
When I have to wait for something to dry I make another card. This often results in 4 or 5 backgrounds/cards which I am working on in one session. Usually 2 or 3 are finished. I was playing around with the thistle stamp a bit, I liked it🙂
I used the same distress inks and embossing powders as before. I inked up the bold thistle stamp and sprayed it with water to get a more blurry effect, I repeated this several times. Then I took the other thistle stamp and used another colour and stamped it.
I spritzed with resist spray and let it dry.
I inked up the rest of the card with blue/green colours.
Embossed the bubble wheel. Next was the fish. I didn’t mask it off when stamping the fish with embossing ink (wiped the embossing ink away in the bubbles and then wiped the embossin powder that ofcourse now stuck to the whole bubble away. The seahorse is stamped with Stazon Midnight blue – I didn’t want it to stand out as much as the other two stamps.
I felt the detailed thistles weren’t clear enough, and the bubblewheel was too much at the front (should be behind the plants more) so I stamped and embossed the detailed thistle several times with a mix of the pink/purple embossing powders. Looked better now. Then some simple colouring with markers.
Don’t pay attention to the stamplines – I’ll have to cut the stamp a bit narrower or stamp more carefully next time. I added glossy accents to the bubbles and eyes of the fish and seahorse and mounted the card as seen.
Tomorrow hopefully some daylight pictures – it looks like bronze embossing powder but it’s black, I promise!
Thanks for visiting🙂
Autoadjustment from Photoshop: