First, the card, then the explanation.
A few posts ago, in WOYWW 275, I showed you some images from a new technique I had found, about creating background/textures with plastic foil. I found it via Anja from Artefaktotum who linked to this video:
Ofcourse I tried this technique, and the results look very nice. I needed to fixate the shimmer stuff beforee processing the background further, as the shimmer spray came off before I did that. Or maybe I didn’t heat it enough.
I tried it with distress stain (I still have only a few colours), and with acryllic paint. My goal was then to make something for the Chocolate Baroque colour challenge:
After looking at the colourpalette from Chocolate Baroque’s challenge I thought it looked a lot like antique copper and antique gold paint I had, only those are more shiny.
After doing the plastic foil technique I had this:
It looked great 🙂 I put some tissue paper over it and stamped on it, to see if the texture wouldn’t make stamping impossible. The image looked quite ok, so I stamped with white ink (Hero Arts Unicorn pigment ink) and heated it with the heatgun to set it.I was pleased with the look, but it wasn’t white enough, so I coloured the image with my picket fence marker. Only then the image lost it’s detail. What to do?
Stamp on tissue paper, colour the tissue paper, then use decoupage glue to glue it on the card. Stamped with Stazon Black, coloured with picket fence and tumbled glass distress marker, then decoupaged it onto the card and sealed it off with decoupage glue also. While that was still a slight bit sticky I put holographig embossing powder on the domes and heat it a bit. Can’t heat too much with the decoupage glue / acryllic paint under and next to it. I added some more stickles silver although that is hardly visible, I think too much stuck to my finger which I used to spread it on the towers. I added glossy accents to the domes and then started working on the butterflies. I wanted something to make the castle look small, so a big and a smaller butterfly seemed right.
The castle, by the way, is from the underwater stamp set Underwater Kingdom. The reason for that stamp? I wanted something royal to go with those colours, as I thought of a Royal blue to use with it, only I didn’t have “royal” stamps from CB, so then it became something magical / the castle.
The butterfly is stamped with Stazon Midnight Blue, and coloured with Caran D’ache Neocolors, Gloss pens and glossy accents. I added some glitter to the small butterfly as well.
I wanted it to look like it was a glimpse throught a window, or an opening in foliage or something else. I inked up the edges with the stazon Midnight Blue (I think it’s called that, not sure) and liked the spiky look, like you peeked through some sort of mineral/crystal cave and saw this little castle!
Shiny, shiniest, just some pictures to show how shiny it is.
Ofcourse, with such a glimpse into another world, this sentiment from the fairyland stamp set is just perfect. The sentiment is stamped with Versafine and then heatembossed with ultra fine embossing powder, as I thought stamping with plain black wouldn’t bring out the words, it had to be on the “top layer”.
With this card I want to participate in the following challenges:
- Chocolate Baroque colour challenge #2 (this is my second entry, all stamps are CB);
- Stampinback – Anything NOT CAS ; (geen stampinback stempels gebruikt);
- The Artistic Stamper – September Challenge: Autumn colours; (butterflies and
mushroomcastle are rubber stamps, text is cleartstamp)
- Vandicrafts Artistry – Challenge #7: Anything goes;
- Simply Create Too – Challenge #70: Fall / Autumn; (golden brown colours – and I should have made a picture of it next to a mushroom that is allready sprouting on some spots in our garden!)
- Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge – Create your own background.
Thanks to the Paper Playful blog for listing all (or at least, a lot!) of challenge blogs!