I find it very difficilt to make CAS cards, as I enjoy cardmaking and colours and stamping, and with a CAS card you’re done a bit faster. No background colouring etc.
For the new Chocolate Baroque challenge I was quite inspirationless. I had this idea in my head about the colourcombination, wanting to make a two coloured brown background with white stamping and some blue accents. I didn’t want to go the usual route of white background and using the colours for the image.
Here is a picture of my tries, I still want to make cards out of it, as I like to challenge myself to make something out of “failed” starts still, but for now it is lying there waiting for the brilliant idea.
I did manage to make something with white “stamping” in the end, that will be revealed in another post.
So what did I do? I really liked the flower stamp, and had to make a card for my mother-in-law for which I found that stamp suitable. I was thinking steampunk a bit, hence that stamp. It’s not really steampunk but could fit in that setting, and would make it a bit less steampunk (and more suitable for my MIL.)
Eventually I couldn’t think of anything else then using the colours on the stamp, one colour for each flower, and stamp it onto a white background. CAS, right?
Colouring the flowers individually on the stamp was tricky, I did most with just the inkpads but touched up some parts with the rusty hinge marker (didn’t have the markers for the other colours). After stamping I found not enough coverage in some places, and added a touch of the rusty hinge marker to the brown flowers – the marker has a slightly different colour from the stamppad, but the variety in the colour of the flower makes it look more interesting. I think I even did this with the blue flower, but a marker a shade lighter. (Tumbled glass instead of Stormy Sky)
It is a one layer card. I made the corner lines by masking off the area around one colour, then colour that line and move the masking to the next line. After I did that, I outlined the masking again, and sprayed Glimmer mist blue on the blue line, dabbed bronze distress stain on the second, sprayed perfect pearls perfect copper on the last.
I made another card the same way, only stamped that one in the center of the card and added shading in the colours of the colourpalette. No sentiment (yet).
I matted it onto a selfmade background. I did not touch up the areas where there is less ink coverage on this card, it’s a side effect of stamping with distress ink, and I don’t mind.
I had to get used to the look of the cards first, as I’m not a CAS person. Clean and simple is a real challenge to me. I was tempted to add more and had to tell myself to stop and put the card away, and look at it again another day. And when I did, I liked the card as it was.
So here it is, my first entry in this month’s Chocolate Baroque Challenge #2 . (Hard to choose, but I’m participating with the
first second card in the post, the one with the image stamped in the middle and shading/ground at the bottom of the flowers).