21 finished projects to go, 5 projects at 85%, 1 project at 25-75% (depending on how much I want to add ofcourse), and then about 30 background bits waiting to be used. My goal is to use my scraps, the bits and pieces I put aside when making other cards, the extra backgrounds I (accidentally) made. Ofcourse, once in a while I start from scratch again (or, like when I played with metallic paint, I made lots of bits to create cards from – mostly stamped images centerd on a piece of paper, so that’s about 20 card-starters more..)
What’s with these numbers? It’s the amount of unposted projects / cards. I craft harder then I post!
Let’s take one finished project off the list and blog about it now. Oh I forgot, it’s not finished yet, as I am still thinking about adding a sentiment. I know what the sentiment should be about (little things, big impact, something along those lines) but don’t know the exact quote / line yet, nor how I’ll get it on the canvas.
The canvas I’m talking about is a canvas with melted crayons on it.
I wanted to do this ever since I saw it on a blog about 3 years ago?
Check out my pinterest: To Do board for a few more crayon art things.
I once gave it a half try, but that didn’t look good. The project below does.
Little things with Big effects
- Crayons and heat gun
- Distress ink
- Cell theory 12 x 12 crafter’s workshop template
- mmodelling paste
- Stazon ink
- White gel pen
- Glossy accents
- Stamp from School of Fish set from Designs by Ryn
- Trickling water from Designs by Ryn
- Rising bubbles from Designs by Ryn
- Sea Bubbles from Deigns by Ryn
- Paper/gloss pens
- Black sooth distress marker.
How to make it
I started out on a flat canvas by sponging with festive berries (and maybe a bit of ripe persimmon on the top) distress ink through the cell theory template, removed the stencil and smeared the ink out a bit more (it didn’t dry very well). Next, I repositioned the stencil and applied molding paste – the molding paste absorbs the colour of the ink. When that was dry I applied blue distress ink – probably my favourite blue: Peacock Feathers. Then take a moist cloth and wipe off the distress ink off the molding paste.
Putting up the crayons this way is not advised – once the crayons start melting they will come loose ofcourse. It was a very hot day – too hot for me to be outside, so I left them outside and went on to cutting out shapes for other cards inside. I had fun stmaping the images (onto normal 140g paper) and colouring with distress ink on acryllic block, and occasionally some neocolors. Less fun was cutting it all out, I think I have half of it still waiting to be cut out, 1/4 is used on cards (still to be blogged about), and 1/4 is cut out but not used yet. Adding to my stash.
Back to the crayons… they didn’t melt in the sun, so in the afternoon I moved inside and used my heat gun. (Did I mention it was a very hot day allready?). No pictures of the process, was too busy :). It did smell a bit, as the wax also bubbled (heated too much?). The top half of the melted part has a different “texture” – before the wax was completely cooled off I pressed some cardstock against it.
I don’t have pictures of the process, only pictures of the finished piece now.
I heated the heat wax a bit again and stamped the little fish – this was a bit of trial an error. Too hot and the image won’t hold, too cold and there is no impression. It was a bit scary to use a stamp on hot stuff, then again, I don’t think rubber melts before wax melts, and I didn’t press it in hot bubbling wax. I was able to stamp on it with stazon, but the lines weren’t very clear. After I had done the fish, I dared to use other stamps and continued with the rising bubbles and trickling water.
The stamped images weren’t all to clear because of the unflat surface – I only heated the lower part of the bubbles, wanting those to sink in and the others to be more on the surface (no pun intended!). I traced the outlines with black sooth marker – as it’s sort of an oily/gloss surface the ink dries very slowly. [I just made new pictures and slightly rubbed over it – it is dry. (Harder rubbing would ofcourse remove some wax and the ink!)]. I also used a white gell pen for highlights. I dotted the highlights as drawing isn’t possible in the wax, and had to clean the tip of the gell pen every few dots or it would become clogged. So be careful, use an old one if possible.
Next, I added Rangers glossy accents all over the fish and the lower bubbles.
Last bit was adding the paper pen / glossy pen accents.
So maybe it still needs words and a frame, but that’s the last bit, and I’m not very good at the end details :P.
On the other hand, I like it as it is now, with no words on it. It has a title, maybe I should hang it on the wall with the title beneath it. IT’s only an A5 size, so not very big for on the wall, but with the intensity of the colours it catches the eye easily enough.