It’s been a while since I participated in a WOYWW, but it’s about time I did again, as I made some pictures while making the card for the first Chocolate Baroque colour challange (july/august). See the end of the post for the picture of the card, and another desk- picture. (For an older desk picture, of how it was back on November, see my next post. (Yup, NEXT post. I’m not working in an entirely chronological order when it comes to blogging – I can time travel, hurray!).
After having received a new stencil (clockwork from Tim Holtz) I ofcourse had to play with it, even while my kids were around. Ofcourse that resulted in them playing with it and me trying to keep things in one piece. I took some light coloured distress inks (so the inkstains on their hands would not be very intense), and having the Chocolate Baroque colour challenge in mind I took out my distress inks Tumbled Glass and Shabby Shutters.
I liked the colour and stencil combination a lot, so I managed to grab a piece of cardstock for myself and started on the next project.
The clockwheels were great, but I needed to add some (CB) stamps too, and I was thinking Steampunk style. I browsed through my stamps, stopped at the Steampunk Christmas set and chose the flowers from that set.
Then trying out some different stamping inks (Stazon red, DI festive berries or fired brick, only embossing ink and embossing with red or Queens gold embossing powder). Wiping away the ink a bit on the holly leaves of the stamp, inking only the middle or outer leaves and restamping with the stampruler and embossing it, then colouring it with DI and water. Used colours: Fired Brick, Mustard Seed and Scattered Straw.
I had a quick detour while playing with the stamps from Design by Ryn and alcohol ink, using the cover from the EZ-mount foam as base. Too bad one side was too smooth, luckily the stamps were sort of symmetric so they still fit on the piece of backing.
Then choosing the flowers which would go on the card, and the layout. I had intended for a small flower on a big flower at first, but liked 2 big flowers twisted in eachother too. Only that would cover too much of the stenciling. A small flower on a big flower would cover the lovely gold embossed gear too much. So only 1 flower per clockwork.
Next, some text. I wanted it to be time related. My neece, who is still on the IC in the hospital, will need lots of time to recover (if she recovers). We believe in her, and that it only takes time for her to “grow” again. It made me think of this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7eFYtkOiXo Nitin Sawhney – Street Guru.
In it, there is a line: Time is the essence of life.
It just fit my mood, so there we are, the sentiment. Stamped in black, and distressed with aged paper and scattered straw.
Last were the butterflies, I wanted to add some more blue to it, so stamped the CB butterfly from the summer fairy set several times. I kind of repeated the process for the flowers: clear embossing, black embossing, silverywhite embossing, no embossing. Coloured them with Distress inks and Caran D’ache Neocolors. Oh and I used glossy accent on some of them.
Then I remembered the small wooden laser cut butterflies I had recently bought at the Xenos. I applied some gesso to it, and coloured them with the Caran D’ache Neocolors and added glossy accent to three of the prettiest.
The outline of the stencil is a bit wobbly/aged, I liked that so I cut out a “frame” equally wobbly. The basecard is straight. I coloured that with brushed corduroy, vintage photo and a little bit of black sooth and a tiny bit of real coffee. (There are more crafters out there that dip their brush in their drinks when in need of just a tiny bit of water and having no water around…right??) I wanted it to be brown to be a bit more clocklike, like an old standing clock (I know that is not the right english word for it, it’s the literal translation of the dutch word, but I think you know what I mean).
It was fun making it, and I am pleased with the result, eventough some more green wouldn’t be too bad. Then again, the stencilling would get lost if more is added. I think the card would be great too with just the stencilling and one flower, that would be a nice card too. I’ll keep that in mind when I’m in need for a quick card. Just the stencilling, a flower, maybe even a butterfly – I still have lots of those two lying around now – and a fitting sentiment and voila, ready! (Then there is matting the card and making the envelop – I hate making those, as I usually discover at the last moment that I don’t have an envelop that fits!)
My dining table in the end, just this afternoon (the other picture was of 2 days ago):