First: Cynthia, if you’re reading this, stop reading… check back in a week!
My last CPS sketch (well, the last for this challenge-series):
And here is my card: (This is a scan of the card, due to the embellishment it’s not entirely focused but the colours are most realistic)
With this card I would like to enter the following challenge:
How I made it
Originally I wanted to use this butterfly, and chose the two pinkish distress colours I have as main colours: Victorian Velvet and Tattered Rose. I started with white cardstock, and distressed it with those two colours and a bit of Old Paper and Scattered Straw. When I was done, I browsed through my stamps looking for a stamp that matched the colours, and I chose this faded lacy stamp from Christina Renee, I put it all along the left side and on the bottom with Dew Drop Crimson Copper. I liked the result🙂
The butterfly was stamped on purple cardstock which was distressed with Victorian Velvet, and stamped with Smokey Grey Versafine.
But uh oh, the butterfly was a bit lost up there! It needed a frame, like in the sketch. So I took new white cardstock, put down my Tumbled Glass Distress Ink just once on it, and smeared Rusty Hinge directly from the pad around the blue square. Next, I stamped a windowframe (hence the blue for the glass) with Dew Drop Coffee Bean, and stamped it. Hmm. I put it in place and laid the butterfly on top. The colours were too bright for the card, and the size didn’t match. Hmm. Something else, but what?
A little timejump to before I started the card:
I had some fun with two digital images from the FrenchKissed blog. (Etsy store here). I used the secretary lady and edited in the text “Dear Cynthia, I write you just to say: don’t remember our tea-date!” But in French ofcourse😉. I had invited Cynthia in September for a high tea at a nearby cute lunchroom, but so far we haven’t managed to set a date, so this is a reminder that we should do it soon! I used the font “Traveling Typewriter” – I love the font! The wall on the back of the lady was quite empty (I had edited out the stamp wich was there), so I put in a painting – of another image of French Kissed Postcards, the image of the Golden Lady at the Tea table. It was sort of an inside joke, at this size you can hardly see the teacups, though if you look closely you can still see it. I stamped a nice frame round her, like she was really hanging on the wall. So, that bit was finished, I only had to make the rest of the card, but first, the CPS challenge card…
Back to the time before the jump
So, no butterfly or frame. Could the image for Cynthia work? Let’s try… yes! that does match! Now add a frame around it. I stamped the frame with smokey grey versafine. directly onto the image+card. Hmm not very visible the frame. Stamp again with Coffee Bean. Still not very visible, it’s still two pieces (the background and image). Distress the edges of the image with Victorian Velvet, where the frame is. That’s better, but now the frame isn’t that visible anymore. Stamp again with Coffee Bean. Hmm.
Nah. This doesn’t look right. The frame should be a real frame – so distress a background with Tattered Rose, stamp onto it once with Coffee Bean, cut it out, and .. that is it! The only downside is that I printed my images apparantly a tiny bit too big, as the gold lady is not clearly visible anymore. On the other side, it kind of looks like it’s a door opening now and you look into a ballroom where a lady is having tea! Great effect🙂.
Only now with the cut-out frame the text “Dear Cynthia” wasn’t visible anymore, it was visible through the previous stamped frame. So I had to think of something else. A nametag for the painting. Usually that’s at the bottom, but then the text would be in the wrong order (duh), so I put it on top. (Dew Drop Galaxy Gold and a purple/red Derwent pencil).
From the frame background I took a strip and stamped with Coffee Bean the three airballoon stamps and tore off the edges, I wanted it to look like it had been taken from the envelop. Now for the overlaying strip. Any cardstock would obscure the balloons, so I used some parchment paper which I got today in some package. Great timing🙂 I stamped the tea cups, glued the corners, added brown Perlen Pen drops and done! Hmm the drops make the card unbalanced.What if I add a little to the left as well? That’s better, better balance now. But two drops merged sort of together as the Perlen Pen squirted too much. Hmm. Let’s add some more drops. Oops, I smudged one. Help! I tried to get it off the parchment paper, which went fairly well. Then I added new drops…
Result: it was ugly. I tried to look at it in a shabby chic handmade kind of way, but it just wasn’t right. Aha! I can still use my butterfly, jay! It did need a bit extra though, so I just lightly touched the stamp here and there with Dew Drop Galaxy Gold and stampd over hte first stamp. This was just the little thing it needed. Next I shaped it a bit ( I like butterflying butterflies) and glued it over the uglyness!
I realize the middle ribbon effect is a bit lost maybe, and there are 2 teacups hidden behind the butterfly, but it does finish the card.
Oh and I had a little strip of background left over, so I stamped the lacey stamp onto that as well and the teacups in white and pink. And maybe you can even see the roses in two corners… (warning, colours are off, the cardstock is actually cream coloured, not yellow!)
And that rounds up my 15 cardsketches for CPS!
In my next post I will show them all once more, and also all the things I made which didn’t make it onto/into a CPS challenge card.