The last of my posting spree for today. I have just one card left to make for the CPS challenge (15 cards in 18 days), and I don’t think I will get that one finished tonight if I want to get some sleep still ;).
I love the vibrant Indian colours, the floral motives and the decorations, so when I saw a Viva Decor stamp set with India theme I had to get it. As usual with any new stampset I have to get used to it, I hardly ever get to work immediately with a new stampset. Somehow it has to create a story within me first, I have to get used to it, to let it sink in. The same with cutting dies. Not for embossing folders or inks, or cutting dies for flowers (you know, where you have to stack or curl the flowerleaves and then assemble the flower.) But now the time had come for this stampset!
The layout is based on sketch #45 from CPS:
With this card I would like to enter the following challenge:
- Card Positioning System – CPS 5th anniversary day 14 with Keri Sereika and Flower Soft, sketch #45
- Crafter’s Companion – Challenge 21: Anything Goes closes in beginning of March
- Mema’s Crafts – February Challenge: Anything Goes
How I made it
I searched for the background paper first – I would base my colourset on that. Well maybe not entirely, as I had just bought my first Copic Marker just to try it out, colour Duck Blue. I think I’ll have to find a tutorial or some more information about those markers, they didn’t seem that different from other markers. Anyway, I found matching patterned paper, and picked up a white cardstock card and made it blue (Tumbled Glass blue from Rangers distress, and added a little Shabby Shutters to make it more lively.) I stamped the image of the lrage floralthingy on white cardsticok just to see how it looked, and I loved it 🙂 That was going to be the circle. I traced lines with my Duck Blue, then added some gold, used my orange paper pen, used a red fineliner, Karmine Red paper pen, kingfisher blue derwent pencil and another blue derwent pencil (I don’t know that name, I know the name of the other one because I like that colour a lot. Sort of turqoise / peacock blue.). And I added some clear gel and embossing powder on that. ( I didn’t realize yet the embossing powder was that transparant, so you don’t really see it very well. The clear gel wasn’t really clear so you do see that .)
I cut out the shape. Then I made a blue strip (actually I made a wider one and cut it in two. I stamped both with the floral decoration from the stampset, and maybe you are going to yell at me for doing this, but I inked the stamp with the Copic Marker and stamped with it – i figured the ink flowed smoothly enough from the marker to be able to stamp with. Or is this also how you can use it? Anyway, I had two strips but only used one, the other one is waiting for a new project.
Next I stamped the background blue card with several different stamps and colours, the orange colour is rusty hinge distress ink, I liked the look of it. Beneath the other flower is there was also an orange coloured stamped flower.
Initially I had wanted to add an elephand to the front, but the placement wasn’t right. It didn’t fit on the front. (Ever tried glueing an elephant to the front of a card without having him trample up all the floral decorations?)
So something else – one of the floral rosettes seemed perfect. I decorated it to match the other shape. The stampdesign has clear lines, so I cut out two rings of leaves along those lines and curled them up. That was just the little extra the card needed!
Now it was time for some help from my boyfriend. You see, I often have trouble selecting the colour of the basecard. Actually I don’t, but I only realize that when I have asked the opinion of my boyfriend. If I start to discuss his choice with him then I DID have an opinion. We both agreed the red was a good choice for this card. (No gold, blue, (light)yellow, white, cream, orange).
And a little touch from my son Tobias (the tear beneath the elephant) – he can barely see above the table but can grasp anything that is within 7 cm’s of the edge. At least, that’s what I noticed today, it was about 3 cm’s before ;).
The elephant is stamped with Dew Drop Crimson Copper and embossed with clear embossing powder.